Last weekend, I went to see ‘The Great Gatsby’ and since I'm a big fan of the roaring twenties I just couldn't resist writing a blog post about it. I was fascinated by the make up.
Note: tons of dark red lipstick and black eyeliner.
Here's how to get Carey Mulligan's look.
- Use foundation that looks exactly like your skin color and finish with some powder. Just use a little bronzer on your cheekbones and below your eyebrows.
It adds more shape and mystery to the structure of your face.
- Apply a dark eye shadow color (I suggest taupe or grey) and make sure it has an oval shape. This is typical for that time. If necessary, wipe a little by using your finger tips to get in the perfect shape.
- Curl your lashes and apply mascara to both the top and bottom. Focus on creating long lashes in the middle of your eyelid (verrrrrrrry '20). Eyeliner was formerly not really used, but if you just draw a thin line it's looks way more sophisticated.
- Use an eyebrow pencil that's a bit lighter than your natural brow color.
Fill your eyebrow to the end, but make sure you keep it realistic.
- Apply some red colored blush to your cheeks with your fingers. You can also use lipstick.
- In the twenties, a lip pencil used to emphasize the center of your lips.
The line often did not go all the way to the edge of your lips. This will make them look more pursed.
- Choose a deep red color as lipstick.
- If you really want to "go all the way" you should add a beauty spot with the tip of a black or brown eyeliner.